Sunday 8 June 2008

Google Webmaster Tools

As you probably guessed the use of the words 'sex' and 'drugs' in my previous post title were not quite as innocent as I tried to make out. I have always wondered the effect using these words could have on a blog's popularity and have now decided to experiment.

Today, time for the grand news! I decide to connect to my Google Analytics account, expecting the zillions of visits I so truely deserve for this pathetic attempt, and low and behold... nothing has changed. Same flimsy statistics.

But my eye did catch on to one thing: Google is now offering a set of tools for webmasters. They are absolutely free, easy to 'plug into' using a simple meta tag in your page headers, and can be added to your iGoogle page.

For instance, you can list top search queries, crawl errors, problems with content (meta tags, ...) and so on and so forth. You can also submit a site map to make sure Googlebot visits all the pages you want referenced.

Other interesting fact, the last time Googlebot successfully crawled my index page was May 22. So my dismay is now tempered by the fact that there is still a tiny gleam of hope for the sex and drugs effect.

Any ideas for better words?

No comments:

Online Marketing
Add blog to our blog directory blog search directory Blog Directory Blogarama - The Blog Directory