Thursday 24 April 2008

Hello and welcome

What more can I say? A new day and a new blog... let's hope this one "sticks".

I will be starting with a few "tips" relating to my latest fad: batch programming.
Weird, huh? But also jolly useful at times. I am using the NT flavour of batch programming so I am not sure how much of the code I will be posting here will be usable on other systems.

Obviously, I couldn't start to thank Rob van der Woude enough for compiling the ultimate scripting site: http://www.robvanderwoude.com/. In it he describes batch commands, batch syntax and even provides scores of examples.

Here is a compilation of the tips I hope to be expanding shortly:
  • Tip#01: Variables and spaces
  • Tip#02: Using: cd /D
  • Tip#03: Using The Boring Black Hole
  • Tip#04: Working with arguments
  • Tip#05: Using CON ... or not
  • Tip#06: Getting the batch file path
  • Tip#07: Retrieving and using file size
  • Tip#08: Reading from a file
  • Tip#09: Using: for /D
  • Tip#10: Making and calling a subroutine
  • Tip#11: Using The Substring Equivalent
  • Tip#12: Creating a timestamp
  • Tip#13: Using: setlocal enabledelayedexpansion
  • Tip#14: The difference between :: and REM
  • Tip#15: Getting file attributes

Of course, this list will probably change over time in ways I cannot imagine just yet so bare with me. Oh and please do comment on anything you want, that's what the comment link is for and, in my experience, it is usually shamefully underused. So, dither no more... :)

No comments:

Online Marketing
Add blog to our blog directory blog search directory Blog Directory Blogarama - The Blog Directory